The Honors Curriculum and General Education
[Note: The general education requirements listed below apply to all students at The University of Maine. Students electing Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees in either the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture will have additional BA requirements to fulfill. A brief discussion is available here; for more details please see your academic advisor or associate dean’s office.]
Courses offered by the Honors College (designated HON or Honors) satisfy these University general education requirements:
- The Honors Civilizations four-semester sequence (HON 111, 112, 211, 212) satisfies all of the Human Values and Social Contexts areas (WCT, CD & IP, SC & I, A & CE, and P & E) for 16 credits as well as the Ethics requirement [Note: to graduate with Honors, students must have a 3.0 GPA for the Civilizations sequence];
- Honors 170 satisfies the Social Context and Institutions requirement for 1 credit;
- Honors 180 satisfies the Artistic and Creative Expression requirement for 1 credit;
- Completing both Honors 111 and Honors 112, each with a grade of “C” or better, satisfies the college composition (ENG 101) requirement;
- Honors 211 and Honors 212 are both “writing-intensive outside the major”;
- Honors Tutorials (HON 308, HON 309 or HON311-HON347) Satisfy various general education requirements, determined by the particular tutorial;
- The Honors Thesis sequence, HON 498 and HON 499, satisfies the capstone requirement for certain majors; HON 499 is writing intensive.
NOTE: Operationally, students who complete the Civilizations sequence and take any two or more credit course that satisfies any of the University’s Human Values and Social Contexts areas will have satisfied all of the University’s general education requirements with the exception of the mathematics, science, and capstone requirements. These remaining two credits are satisfied by taking HON 170 & HON 180. Additionally, the capstone requirement is satisfied by Honors 498 & 499 for many majors.
For students who do not complete the entire Honors curriculum…
…the chart below shows which requirements will be met upon completion of each semester in the Civilizations sequence. Students may take any combination of HON 111, 112, 211, and 212; however, the college composition (ENG 101) requirement is only met upon the completion of HON 111 and 112 (with a grade of “C” or better).
|Number of Semesters of the Civilizations Sequence|
|CD & IP||*|
|SC & I||_||_|
|P & E||_||_||_|
|A & CE||_||_||_|
*One course satisfies either WCT or CD & IP
WCT = Western cultural tradition
CD & IP = Cultural diversity and international perspectives
SC & I = Social context and institutions
P & E = Population and the environment
A & CE = Artistic and creative expression