Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellowships
The fellowship award is: up to $2,500
Application Deadline: Friday, October 30, 2020
Letter of Support Deadline: Friday, November 6, 2020
The Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellowship is intended to encourage students to investigate and understand the rigorous academic path to a career in medicine.
Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellows are students in the Honors College at the University of Maine whose undergraduate thesis research resembles the passion for and dedication to medicine evident in the work and career of Dr. Carolyn E. Reed.
Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellows are devoted to improving the world through active research and establishing an academic background that will enable them to become world-class physicians. Their research is intended to make a positive difference in the lives of others both through their discoveries and as a stepping stone to their future careers.
- Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellows are awarded up to $2500.
- Fellowships are granted based on the evaluation of a written proposal, previous work in Honors and the major, and the potential to produce outstanding thesis work.
- Financial need may be considered in the decision-making process.
- To be eligible, a student must:
- be enrolled in Honors 498 and Honors 499 during the year of the fellowship,
- have completed all prior Honors curriculum requirements by the year of the fellowship,
- and be in good standing in the Honors College (GPA greater than or equal to 3.30).
- The fellowship committee may consider special exceptions to the above guidelines on a case-by-case basis and reserves the right not to make an award in a given year if there are no suitable applicants.
- To apply, a student must:
- complete the online application form here
- Include a Résumé
- write an essay describing your thesis project, how it relates to the intent of the Fellowship, and how the Fellowship will support your work in that endeavor;
- request a letter of support from the thesis advisor addressing the student’s potential for the project as well as its impact. This will be emailed by the Thesis Advisor to Katie Kurz at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed applications and supporting materials must be submitted by the deadline listed above; applications will not be accepted later than this deadline.
The fellowship committee will notify applicants as to the decision on their proposals within two weeks after the application packets are complete.
- Acknowledgement of the Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellowship should be included in any posters, publications, the thesis itself, etc. that result from the supported work: “This work was made possible in part by the support of the Carolyn E. Reed Pre-Medical Thesis Fellowship.”
- The Committee may choose not to give an award in any given year.