Thomas E. Lynch 38′ Honors Thesis Scholarship
The fellowship award is: $1500
Application Deadline: Friday, October 16, 2020
Letter of Support Deadline: Friday, October 23, 2020
Thomas E. Lynch graduated from the University of Maine in 1938 with a degree in electrical engineering, and in 1983, he was awarded the Alumni Association Career Award. His trust graciously established funds for honors thesis fellowship awards. $1500 Lynch Thesis Fellowships will be awarded to Honors College students in the process of writing their theses.
Thomas E. Lynch ’38 thesis fellowships in the amount of $1500 will be awarded to Honors thesis students in good standing. The thesis topic may be in any area of study.
- Fellowships are granted based on the evaluation of a written proposal, previous work in Honors and the major, and the potential to produce outstanding thesis work.
- Financial need may be considered in the decision-making process.
- To be eligible, a student must:
- be enrolled in Honors 498 and Honors 499 during the year of the fellowship,
- have completed all prior Honors curriculum requirements by the year of the fellowship,
- and be in good standing in the Honors College (GPA greater than or equal to 3.30).
- Students should be up to date with thesis forms at the time of the application
- The fellowship committee may consider special exceptions to the above guidelines on a case-by-case basis and reserves the right not to make an award in a given year if there are no suitable applicants.
- To apply, a student must:
- Prepare an application document of up to two pages double spaced explaining your honors thesis topic and why it is significant to you. Also include how this award will help you complete your honors thesis. Feel free to add anything else you think the scholarship committee should know.
- Submit a résumé
- Submit an abstract or description of the thesis
- Fill out the online application here
- Submit one letter of recommendation (preferably from thesis advisor) to Katie Kurz (email@example.com). Please format email subject as (StudentLastName_lynch_recommendation)
- Completed applications and supporting materials must be submitted by the deadline listed above; applications will not be accepted later than this deadline.
The fellowship committee will notify applicants as to the decision on their proposals within two weeks after the application packets are complete.
- Acknowledgement of the Thomas E. Lynch scholarship should be included in any posters, publications, the thesis itself, etc. that result from the supported work: “This work was made possible in part by the support of the Thomas E. Lynch scholarship”
- The Committee may choose not to give an award in any given year