Jaipur Literature Festival
The Festival takes place in each fall in Boulder, CO. The 2020 festival will take place October 2 – 4, 2020.
Deadline: 2021 Deadline TBA
About the Festival:
The Jaipur Literature Festival features authors from all over the world. Participants are welcome to join distinguished contemporary authors from the Americas, Asia, Africa, and Europe in their discussions of life, society, economics, the arts, equity, freedom and the care of our planet. This is an opportunity for an honors student to travel to Boulder, Colorado and “examine the human experience through reflection and imagination of the participants.” Beau Rezendes, a dedicated supporter of the Honors College has graciously invited the recipient to stay with her in her home during the duration of the Festival. Click here to read more about the festival.
“While making the journey from Orono, Maine to Boulder, Colorado the plane must have taken the wrong turn. Instead, when I stepped off the runway I found myself among the aromatic, bustling streets of Jaipur, India. Friendly faces, beautiful sights, and wonderful opportunities present themselves around every corner in the streets. The festival is an opportunity you do not want to pass on. The speakers bring their cultures and knowledge right into your laps with engaging and thought-provoking talks on a wide range of topics. Afterward, there is a multitude of chances to dive deeper into the topics with other attendees, or even the speakers themselves, creating valuable connections that last beyond the weekend. The hardest part of the trip is choosing which events to attend because it is impossible to get to them all! That is not true, the hardest part was saying good-bye to the host, Beau Rezendes. Her warmth and hospitality turn the towering mountains into a sanctuary. Going to spend time with Beau alone makes the trip worthwhile, the festival becomes a bonus to the whole experience. Attending the Jaipur Literature Festival in Boulder, Colorado is a wonderful and educational opportunity that should not be overlooked.”
– Antyna Gould, 2019 Honors Attendee of the Jaipur Literature Festival
- Must be in good standing in Honors (GPA 3.30 or better).
- The literature festival dates for this year are October 2-4, 2020. The student must commit to participating during the entire time.
- The selection is made based on the quality of the written proposal, letter of recommendation, résumé, and previous work in Honors and the major.
- This award is given out at the discretion of the fellowship committee.
- Cost of travel, lodging, and meals are covered by the award.
- Click here to apply!
- The essay should include why you are interested in attending the literature festival, and how you see it benefitting your academic pursuits.
- One letter of reference from a faculty member (please have recommender email the recommendation to Katie Kurz (email@example.com) with the subject heading (“Jaipur Literature Festival Recommendation for [Student Name]”)
- The scholarship committee will notify the successful applicant after the submission deadline.