Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellowships
One fellowship is available for Spring 2019.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 30th 2018 at 5 p.m.
Fellowships shall be awarded to students in good standing (GPA 3.30 and above) in the Honors College who study for at least a semester outside the borders of the United States. The Dean of the Honors College shall make the awards based on criteria established by the Honors College. Preference shall be given to students who graduated from a Maine high school. In the event there are no qualified applicants the Dean, at his/her discretion, may use the funds for other Honors College, student-related travel.
The Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellowship is intended to encourage students to study abroad as a means to expand their horizons through the exposure to and understanding of different cultures.
Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellows are students in the Honors College at the University of Maine whose interest in study abroad resembles the passion for different cultures exemplified by Charles Stanhope’s life and work at the Library of Congress.
- Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellows are awarded $1000.
- All students intending to study for at least a semester outside the borders of the United States are eligible.
- Fellowships are granted based on the evaluation of a written proposal, previous work in Honors and the major, and the potential to benefit from a study abroad experience.
- Preference will be given to students who graduated from a Maine high school.
- Financial need may be considered in the decision-making process.
- The fellowship committee may consider special exceptions to the above guidelines on a case-by-case basis.
- This award is given out at the discretion of the fellowship committee.
- Complete the online application form here which includes an essay on the importance of this study abroad experience to your educational goals.
- Completed application packages must be submitted by the deadline at the top of this page.
- Applications will not be accepted later than this deadline.
The fellowship committee will notify applicants as to the decision on their proposals no later than two weeks after the submission deadline.
- Acknowledgement of the Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellowship should be included in any posters, publications, etc. that result from the supported work: “This work was made possible in part by the support of the Charles V. Stanhope ’71 Study Abroad Fellowship.”