Feature Friday: Caroline Strolic ’21

The Honors College’s Feature Friday series highlights an Honors student every Friday and shares a little bit about their experiences in Honors and at the University of Maine.

This week, our feature is on Caroline Strolic. Caroline is a fourth-year art history major with a minor in history from Phoenix, Arizona.

Caroline expressed her gratitude for the eye-opening nature of the Honors curriculum, stating, “I am forever grateful for the different types of people and experiences I have encountered and learned about through the discussion-based classes that have opened my eyes in a way that I did not think was possible. I have learned so much about myself and what I believe in, as well as participated in those tough conversations that I did not think I would ever have the opportunity to be a part of.”

When asked what her favorite Honors text was, Caroline noted, “My favorite text was not so much a text but actually a film. I loved Modern Times from HON 212. The deeper meanings behind each detail blew my mind. I wish I could watch it again as if I’m seeing it for the first time.”

Caroline’s favorite thing about UMaine is the variability in seasons. “Growing up in Arizona, I only ever had two seasons: hot and less hot. I love that I get to experience all four seasons and do all the activities that go with them,” she described.

Caroline is currently in the second semester of the Honors thesis process. Her thesis is on Benjamin West, an 18th century artist. “[He] is considered the “father of American art,” yet he never actually lived in an independent United States. What makes him the father is that he taught in London the first generation of American-born artists.”

“I hope to explain West’s dueling identities during his career, Anglo vs American, and how he manipulated history through his biography in order to portray himself as an American posthumously,” said Caroline.