Rezendes Global Service Scholarships
Deadline: 5 pm March 6, 2020
“My trip to Pommern [Tanzania] with Global Volunteers was one of the most influential experiences of my life. So, it being such a moving experience, I’ve decided I have to do it again.”
Jon Pelletier ’11
The Dennis Rezendes ’57 and Jacqueline Beau Rezendes Global Service Scholarships support one or more Honors College students as volunteers to programs offered by the Global Volunteers Organization (St. Paul, Minnesota). The scholarships will assist with covering transportation to and from the volunteer location and fees required of the sponsoring organization.
Rezendes Global Service Scholarship Recipients are students in the Honors College at the University of Maine who wish to experience first-hand the benefits and rewards of helping others who want to be helped. Students who participate in this program evidence a desire to grow by being exposed to a diversity of cultures and people, and join others who want to “lay a foundation for world peace through mutual understanding” (Globalvolunteers.org).
- Rezendes Global Service Scholarships will cover the cost of transportation to and from the location and any fees associated with the volunteer program
- Scholarships will not cover any entertainment or souvenir costs for the student
- Scholarships are granted based on the evaluation of a written proposal, previous work in Honors and the major, and are contingent on acceptance to an appropriate volunteer program that meets the requirements of the award.
- Financial need may be considered in the decision-making process.
- The scholarship committee may consider special exceptions to the above guidelines on a case-by-case basis.
- This award is given out at the discretion of the fellowship committee.
- Application packages for the Rezendes Global Service Scholarship must include
- a letter describing your interest in global volunteer opportunities and stating your commitment to participating in a volunteer program this summer,
- a listing of your first three choices of destinations, and
- a copy of your current résumé.
- Completed application packages must be received at Honors Administration Center (146 Estabrooke Hall) by the deadline at the top of this page.
- Applications will not be accepted later than this deadline.
The scholarship committee will notify applicants as to the decision on their proposals no later than two weeks after the submission deadline.
- Acknowledgement of The Dennis Rezendes ’57 and Jacqueline Beau Rezendes Global Service Scholarships should be included in any posters, publications, etc. that result from the supported work: “This work was made possible in part by the support of The Dennis Rezendes ’57 and Jacqueline Beau Rezendes Global Service Scholarships.”