The Civilizations Sequence (Years 1 and 2)
Civilizations (HON 111, 112, 211, and 212)
The four courses constituting Civilizations: Past, Present, and Future follow a chronological trajectory from earliest recorded times through the present, examining philosophy, history, literature, the arts, and natural, physical, and social sciences. In particular, by incorporating primary sources, small group discussions, and multiple perspectives, these courses explore the way in which civilizations and cultures have been developed and have interacted with others.
For students taking HON112 or HON212 in Spring 2020 ONLY, please note the following guidelines on the fulfillment of requirements in relation to the P/F option:
General Education notes for the Honors core curriculum:
- The Civilizations sequence satisfies the University’s Human Values and Social Contexts (HVSC) general education requirement for 16 out of the 18 required credits.
- Taking two of the following 3 classes, HON 170, HON 175, and HON 180, will provide the two additional required credits.
- Successful (“C” or better) completion of HON 111 and HON 112 waives the college composition (ENG 101) requirement.
- HON 211 and HON 212 each satisfy the writing intensive (outside the major) requirement.
- Students who have completed HON 111, 112, 211, 212, and 2 of the 3 of HON 170, 175, and 180 will still need to fulfill the mathematics, science, and capstone requirements.