Honors Student-Athletes Recognized
A number of Honors students were recognized in the UMaine Athletic Department’s student-athlete academic highlights.
- Stephanie Wood (Biology), received the College of Natural Sciences, Forestry and Agriculture’s Wallace C. and Janet S. Dunham Prize. The Softball outfielder plans to attend medical school to obtain a MD/PhD.
- Stephanie was also named to “Team Maine 2014” for having the top GPA on the Softball team.
- Elizabeth Wood (Biology) was awarded a variety of different awards for her academic performance. A member of the Women’s Basketball team, Liz was named this year’s M Club Dean Smith award winner. The award is presented to the top male and female student-athletes for outstanding academic and athletic achievement along with citizenship and community service.
- In July 2015, Liz was named the America East Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
- For the second consecutive year, Liz was named America East Women’s Basketball Student-Athlete of the Year.
- Liz was named to the America East All-Academic Team, which represents the top student-athletes in each sport from the America East Conference.
- In 2014 she received the “Second-Year Academic Book Award” in the School of Biology and Ecology for sophomores achieving a 4.0 GPA in the Fall of 2014.
- Scott Merrill (Biology) was named to the 2014-15 America East All-Academic Team. He represented one of the top Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field student-athletes in the conference.
- Scott was also named an America East Presidential Scholar-Athlete, recognizing graduating student-athletes who compiled a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher.
- Scott was also named to “Team Maine 2014” for having the top GPA on the Men’s Indoor and Outdoor Track team.
- Carolyn Stocker (Food Science & Human Nutrition) was also named an America East Presidential Scholar-Athlete, recognizing graduating student-athletes who compiled a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher.
- Along with Stephanie Wood and Scott Merrill, three other Honors students were named to “Team Maine 2014” for having the top GPA on their respective teams.
- Jesse Orach (Chemical Engineering) Men’s Cross Country
- Abigail Wessels (BioEngineering) Women’s Cross Country
- Caroline Curtis (Chemistry) Cheering
Congratulations to all our Honors student-athletes!